Being tired is a normal occurrence, and there are many different factors that can contribute to making someone tired - some preventable, some not so much, but the most important thing is that you recognize that you feel tired and attempt to find the cause, and implement changes to correct the problem. Your fatigue won't be cured 'overnight', but you CAN feel better in time, with a consistant effort and simple lifestyle changes.
- Only 15% of Americans report not waking up even one day a week feeling tired and poorly rested, while 40% say that they wake up once, twice or three times a week feeling poorly rested. 38% say that they're poorly rested four or more days a week. - https://today.yougov.com
Fatigue can be caused by many factors. Here are a few:
- Poor sleep patterns caused by sleep apnea and other sleep disorders
- Thyroid problems
- Low Vitamin D levels
- Inflammatory foods such as diary and gluten
- Various types of anemia
- Adrenal fatigue
- Low testosterone/ estrogen
- Chronic infections
To curb the tiredness, try some of the simple changes listed below:
- eat small portions and healthy snacks
- exercise consistently
- if applicable, try to lose a few pounds
- focus on getting a good amount of sleep at night
- try stress reducing practices such as breathing and meditation
- avoid alcohol and caffeine
- drink plenty of water. Most people should drink about 8 cups of water (8 ounce cup).
Eating often keeps your energy level steady throughout the day and healthy snacks provide your body with a constant supply of energy. Even though you may feel exhausted while exercising, it works to increase your energy level throughout the day - AND, can help you get a better quality of sleep at night. If losing weight applies to you, it is an important area of focus because carrying extra weight makes you tired. A good night of sleep seems obvious, but it's not always easy. Recently it has become popular to set a 'go to bed' timer, to help you improve your sleep routine, and several apps are available to track your sleep patterns to watch your quality of sleep and tackle problem areas. A lot of energy is lost due to stress. A quick google search will give you several ideas for activities to minimize stress levels - try some! In general, we recommended that you avoid caffeine and alcohol but if you are dragging during the day, that's even more important. As always, consume your recommended daily water intake.
These are just a few common ways that have proven to beat fatigue. You may find that one of these examples may work better than the other, depending what is realistic for you.
Being tired can become a major issue. You do not have to put up with being tired, find a way to fix it. And if you would like to chat with use about this further, you can set up an initial consultation with Dr. Pabla.
"Energy and persistence conquer all things." ~Benjamin Franklin